We all want our children to sleep, and a bath before bed has been a recommendation for generations in order to get your little one to sleep. However, there is much more that you can do to support a bathtime designed to make your little one ready for bed and, most importantly, sleep.
Here are our top tips for a sleepy bathtime.
- Use warm, not hot, water: Taking a hot bath can help you relax and can actually make you feel more sleepy. Just be sure to keep the temperature of the water slightly warm rather than hot to avoid feeling too hot and uncomfortable.
- Add calming scents. Use a drop of lavender essential oil or a lavender-scented bubble bath to add calming scents like lavender or chamomile to your bath.
- Dim the lights: Dimming the lights and creating a calm atmosphere can help signal to your body and mind that it’s time to relax and drift off to sleep.
- Play calming music: Put on some gentle, soothing music to help your body transition into a restful state and create a sleepy atmosphere.
- Avoid screens: Avoid using technology or watching television while in the bath, as this can be too stimulating and make it harder to sleep.
- Stay in the bath for at least 10 to 15 minutes: Soak for at least 10 to 15 minutes to give your body and mind the time to fully relax and to ensure you get the most out of your sleepy bath.
We hope that these tips work for your little one. Try them for yourself – they may even work for you too!
For more baby and toddler advice click here